Moonlite BBQ Inn Burgoo
Yield: 3 gallons
- 4 pounds mutton
- 1 (3 pound) chicken
- 3/4 pound cabbage, ground or chopped fine
- 3/4 pound onion, ground or chopped fine
- 5 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 (17 ounce) cans corn or 2 cups fresh corn
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3 (10 3/4 ounce) cans tomato puree
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like)
- Boil mutton in enough water to cover. Cook until tender, 2 to 3 hours.
- Discard broth and bones. Chop meat fine. Set aside.
- Boil chicken in 2 gallons of water in a large kettle until tender. Remove chicken.
- Add cabbage, onion, potatoes, corn, ketchup and 1 gallon water to chicken broth. (If you are following the area cook's, add those ingredients now.) Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, chop chicken meat. Discard bones and skin.
- When potatoes are tender, add chopped chicken, mutton, tomato puree, lemon juice, vinegar, Worcestershire
sauce, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 2 hours or longer, stirring occasionally as it thickens.
Some area cooks add dried beans or lima beans, tomatoes and a little boiled shredded beef or wild game.
Source: Moonlite BBQ Inn, Owensboro, Kentucky