Murphy's Restaurant Tortilla Soup
- 2 ears corn, cut off kernels to make 1 cup corn
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup Anaheim chile peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
- 4 cups (1 quart) chicken stock
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups tortilla chips, broken into small pieces
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, grated
- Cut raw kernels off of corn cob with a sharp knife.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion,
carrots, chile pepper and corn. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until
the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the cumin, chili powder and oregano and continue stirring another minute
to toast the spices. Add the tomatoes, chicken stock cilantro and chicken. Bring
mixture to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, distribute the broken tortilla chips equally in the bottom of soup
bowls, ladle the soup over them and garnish each bowl with cheese.
Yield: 8 servings
Source: Arizona Republic, Phoenix, Arizona - Murphy's Restaurant, Prescott,