1900 Inn Raspberry Wreath
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 egg whites
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 2/3 cup seedless red raspberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F, with rack in center of oven. Coat a 10- or 12-inch
tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, make almond filling: Combine the 1 cup ground almonds, powdered
sugar, butter, almond extract and egg yolk. Mix well; mixture will be stiff. Set
- Press 1 can of dough over bottom and 1/2-inch up sides of sprayed tart pan to
form a crust. Pinch perforations in dough to seal.
- Separate remaining can of dough into 8 triangles. Spread 1 rounded tablespoon
of almond filling on each triangle. Starting at the wide end of each triangle, roll
to opposite point. Arrange the filled crescents around edge of dough-lined tart
pan. Spoon preserves evenly over center of dough, spreading just to the filled rolls.
Mix a little raspberry liqueur into the preserves first, if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare meringue (with or without a little extra sugar) by beating
the room-temperature egg whites (5, plus the extra white from the separated egg,)
at high speed of an electric mixer until frothy (soft peaks will hold).
- Remove almond wreath from oven and spoon beaten egg whites over the almond-filled
ring. Leave the jam center free of the meringue. Sprinkle egg whites with sliced
almonds and tablespoon of sugar. Return to a 350 degrees F oven and bake 25 to 30
minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 30 minutes before serving.
- Release from the tart pan by pushing gently on the bottom and transfer to a serving
plate or tray.
Yield: 10 servings
Source: 1900 Inn, Asheville, North Carolina
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.