1900 Inn Raspberry Wreath
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 egg whites
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 2/3 cup seedless red raspberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F, with rack in center of oven. Coat a 10- or 12-inch
tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, make almond filling: Combine the 1 cup ground almonds, powdered
sugar, butter, almond extract and egg yolk. Mix well; mixture will be stiff. Set
- Press 1 can of dough over bottom and 1/2-inch up sides of sprayed tart pan to
form a crust. Pinch perforations in dough to seal.
- Separate remaining can of dough into 8 triangles. Spread 1 rounded tablespoon
of almond filling on each triangle. Starting at the wide end of each triangle, roll
to opposite point. Arrange the filled crescents around edge of dough-lined tart
pan. Spoon preserves evenly over center of dough, spreading just to the filled rolls.
Mix a little raspberry liqueur into the preserves first, if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare meringue (with or without a little extra sugar) by beating
the room-temperature egg whites (5, plus the extra white from the separated egg,)
at high speed of an electric mixer until frothy (soft peaks will hold).
- Remove almond wreath from oven and spoon beaten egg whites over the almond-filled
ring. Leave the jam center free of the meringue. Sprinkle egg whites with sliced
almonds and tablespoon of sugar. Return to a 350 degrees F oven and bake 25 to 30
minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 30 minutes before serving.
- Release from the tart pan by pushing gently on the bottom and transfer to a serving
plate or tray.
Yield: 10 servings
Source: 1900 Inn, Asheville, North Carolina
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes