Ninfa's Banana Empanadas
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons lard, shortening or butter, cut into small bits
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk, optional FOR EACH EMPANADA:
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) ball of dough (about the size of an egg)
- 1 small fresh banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dark seedless raisins
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 egg white, for sealing edges
- Oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 5 slices fresh banana
- 1 teaspoon chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon dark seedless raisins
- 4 1/2 ounces vanilla ice cream (1 scoop)
- 1 maraschino cherry
- 1/4 cup cajeta sauce (caramel sauce, available in grocery stores or make your own)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Empanada Dough: Dough can be made by hand or in food processor. To make by hand,
measure flour and sugar into bowl; stir to mix. Add fat and thoroughly work it into
- Dissolve salt in water (mix with egg yolk, if using), and add to flour mixture;
mix to form a medium-stiff dough. Knead for 4 to 5 minutes. If using processor,
add flour and sugar to work bowl; pulse briefly. Add fat, then process until it's
thoroughly incorporated into the flour.
- Dissolve salt in water (mix in egg yolk,
if using), and then add through feed tube with machine running. When dough has formed
a ball, continue to process to knead dough for 20 seconds. Remove from bowl and
knead into a smooth ball. Divide dough into about 8 to 10 equal parts, roll into
balls, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for about 20 to 30 minutes to make the
dough easier to roll.
- For each empanada, roll a ball of dough into a flat round, tortilla-shape, about
8 inches in diameter. (Use a tortilla press, if available.) Place on a hot pan and
cook briefly on one side.
- On the center of the tortilla, with the cooked side to
the inside, put bananas, raisins, pecans and honey. With a small pastry brush, brush
egg white around the edges and fold it over to form a half-moon shape. Using a fork,
press around the edges to seal.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches into a wide
frying pan and heat oil to 350 degrees. Fry empanadas for 2 minutes, turning as
necessary, until golden brown. Remove from oil and let drain.
- Garnish: Sprinkle powdered sugar over top, then cinnamon. Garnish with banana slices,
pecans, and raisins. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side, top with
the cherry and accompany with a pitcher of warm cajeta sauce.
Dough makes enough for about 8-10 empanadas.
Source: San Antonio Express News. Ninfa's is a popular chain of Mexican restaurants
located in Texas.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes