Norton's Cafe Jambalaya
Yield: 15 cups
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 ounces Norton's Cajun Seasoning (about 1 cup)*
- 2 cups (4 sticks) margarine
- 1 pound raw chicken, cut into bite-size pieces (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups hot water
- 3 cups tomato sauce or canned diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces andouille sausage, cut into bite-size pieces (2 cups)
- 10 ounces ham, cut into bite-size pieces (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons beef base
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
- In a large pot, combine onion, peppers, celery, sugar, seasoning and margarine. Cook over low heat until margarine is melted.
- Add chicken; cook for about 3 minutes. Add hot water, tomato sauce, sausage, ham, beef base and rice. Stir well, cover with tight-fitting lid and simmer for about 30 minutes or until rice is cooked, stirring4 or 5 times to prevent sticking. Add water near end of cooking if extra liquid is needed.
* Substitute Paul Prudhomme's Magic Seasoning Blend for Vegetables if you cannot locate Norton's Cajun Seasoning.
Per 1 1/2 cup serving: 755 calories; 49g fat (58 percent calories from fat); 624g saturated fat; 54mg cholesterol; 24g protein; 55g carbohydrate; 14g sugar; 2.5g fiber; 3,621mg sodium; 55mg calcium; 624mg potassium