Not Your Average Joe's Mustard-Crusted Chicken
Breast with Spinach-Garlic Mashed Potatoes
For the marinade
- 1/2 cup grainy mustard (such as Pommery)
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted, ground mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
For the chicken
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Panko (Japanese-style) bread crumbs, as needed
- 8 ounces green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups spinach-garlic mashed potatoes (from recipe)
- 2 tablespoons scallions, sliced diagonally (for garnish)
- 2 lemon wedges
For the Spinach-Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 2 teaspoons pureed garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
For the spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup (packed) spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- To make the marinade: Mix the ingredients together in a bowl. Whip well to combine.
Pour the marinade over the chicken and toss until the chicken is thoroughly coated.
Cover and refrigerate. Let marinate overnight before using.
- To make the chicken: Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a sauté pan. Dredge the marinated
chicken breasts in the panko crumbs until coated on all sides. Place in the pan
and sauté until golden brown on one side, approximately 4 minutes. Turn over and
place the chicken breast in a 350 degree F oven for another 4 minutes, or until
- In another sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the green
beans, garlic, salt and pepper. Sauté until the beans are soft but not limp.
- To serve: Place 3/4 cup mashed potatoes on one side of a serving plate. Lay one
chicken breast on top. Fill the rest of the plate with green beans. Sprinkle with
chopped scallions; place the lemon wedge between the chicken and beans. Repeat to
make a second plate. Serve immediately.
- To make the Spinach-Garlic Mashed Potatoes: Place the potatoes in a pot, with
cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 25 minutes. Remove
from the heat and drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the garlic, butter and half-and-half in a saucepan. Warm over
low heat, but do not let boil.
- Place the drained potatoes in a bowl. With an electric mixer, whip the potatoes
on low speed, gradually adding the heated half-and-half mixture. Whip until well
incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To add the spinach: Heat a sauté pan. When very hot, add the olive oil. Immediately
add the spinach and garlic. Remove the pan from the stove, stir the spinach and
garlic quickly and well. Season with salt and pepper. Stir this mixture into the
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 3/12/2002 11:51 am.
Source: Boston Herald.com - From Culinary Director Terry Bell, Not Your Average