Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Veronese
This recipe was inspired by our culinary team's tour through the northern Veneto and southern Campagna regions of Italy.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced (julienned)
- 1/2 zucchini, sliced (julienned)
- Salt to taste
- 4 chicken breasts, sliced in 1/2 inch strips
- 2 small branches rosemary
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 14 fluid ounces heavy cream
- 2 quarts water
- 6 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Wash potatoes and place in water. Cook potatoes until soft (cook time will depend on size of potatoes). Remove potatoes from water and cool in refrigerator.
- Peel cooled potatoes and push them through a fine grater (rice grater) until mashed; do not over-mash potatoes or they will get tough.
- Combine potatoes, flour and eggs in a mixing bowl. Mix well until dough does not stick to hands (add small amounts of flour at a time if needed).
- Divide dough into 4 sections. Roll out each section into a long rope. Cut each rope into 1/2-inch pieces. Push fork tines on each piece for the classic gnocchi appearance.
- Bring water to a boil in a sauce pot. Drop in gnocchi and cook until they float.
- Combine garlic, lemon juice, rosemary and chicken slices in a mixing bowl. Let marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Combine Parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese and heavy cream in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Heat sauté pan on medium high. Add extra virgin olive oil, onions, bell peppers and zucchini. Sauté until onions are translucent (do not brown).
- Add marinated chicken slices and cook until slices are brown on all sides and internal temperature is 165 degrees F. Reduce heat and add sauce mixture. Bring to a simmer.
- Drain cooked gnocchi and add to pan with chicken, vegetables and sauce. Stir to coat gnocchi with sauce.
* or 1 pound gnocchi (potato dumplings, cooked according to package directions
Source: Olive Garden Restaurants - used with permission