Olive Garden Chicken con Zucchini
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3 cups tomatoes, crushed
- 16 ounces canned tomatoes, diced and drained
- 1 1/2 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup black olives, sliced and drained
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni, cooked
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cut 1/2 half of the mushrooms into quarters and reserve. Finely mince remaining portion.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and minced mushrooms. Cook 10 minutes or until onions are very soft, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and mushroom quarters and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer. Remove to heated platter and cover to keep warm while sauteing remaining zucchini.
- Add remaining olive oil as needed. Ladle sauce over pasta. Top with zucchini slices and serve.
- Pass extra sauce and Parmesan cheese.
Posted by Chefbuzzbuzz at Recipe Goldmine 8/11/2001 4:00 am.
Source: The Olive Garden