Olive Garden Grilled Shrimp Caprese
This recipe was inspired by a tour through the northern Veneto and southern Campagna regions of Italy.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds Roma tomatoes, cored* and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 20 medium fresh basil leaves, stems removed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 pound capellini (angel hair) pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 pound 26/30 or 21/25 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Combine tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning and salt in a large bowl and blend thoroughly. Cover, set aside and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add butter and let melt. Stir in white wine and bring to a boil. Add heavy cream and Parmesan cheese and bring to a simmer. Let sauce reduce to desired consistency.
- Add cooked, drained pasta and marinated tomatoes to skillet. Stir to thoroughly coat pasta with sauce.
- Transfer pasta and sauce to serving platter and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Grill or sauté shrimp until internal temperature reaches 150 degrees F and set aside.
- Place serving platter in broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Top pasta with cooked shrimp and serve.
* Chef's Note: To preserve juices and seeds, use a paring knife to remove just the top of the core on each tomato.