Olive Garden Lemon Cream Cake
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 1/2 cups lemon pie filling
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Add oil, egg yolks, water and lemon rind. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until peaks form.
- Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, and beat until very stiff and shiny peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 of the whites into the batter, then quickly fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain.
- Turn batter into ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Invert cake and cool completely in pan.
- When cool, loosen edges and shake pan to remove cake.
- Beat cream to stiff peaks.
- Fold in lemon filling.
- Chill until stiff.
- Slice cake horizontally into 3 equal layers.
- Fill layers with 1/3 cup of filling.
- Spread remaining filling on top layer. Decorate with lemon slices.