O'Sullivan's Wharf She-Crab Soup
Yield: 8 servings
- 4 quarts + 1 cup Half-and-Half
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander
- 4 tablespoons curly parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped spring and red onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Old Bay Crab Seasoning
- 4 ounces crab base (stock)
- 4 ounces cornstarch mixed with 8 ounces Half-and-Half
- 1 pound crab meat
- 4 ounces cooking sherry
- Heat four quarts Half-and-Half in a double boiler. Before it reaches 140 degrees F, add bay leaves, coriander, parsley, spring and red onions, Old Bay Seasoning and crab base (stock).
- While soup is heating, mix cornstarch and 8 ounces of Half-and-Half.
- When mixture reaches 140 degrees F, slowly add cornstarch mixture. Use a whisk so it doesn't clump. Allow soup to reach a rich consistency, not too soupy but not as thick as dip.
- Add sherry. Allow mixture to heat up again before adding crabmeat.
- Fold meat into mixture, trying not to break it apart.
- Garnish with Old Bay Seasoning and a clip of green onion.
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 1/26/2002 2:34 pm.
Source: 13News, Saturday, January 19, 2002 - by Timothy Caramillo, O'Sullivan's Wharf, Norfolk, Virginia