Outback Steakhouse Aussie Cheese Fries
- 1/2 (2 pound) bag frozen French fries*
- 1 cup shredded colby-Monterey jack cheese (or taco cheese)
- 6 pieces bacon, cooked
- Salt (optional)
* Outback uses fresh potatoes to make the fries.
- Heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees F in a large skillet. If you do not have a thermostat, make sure the oil is hot enough, so that when you set a French fry in there it will cook immediately.**
- If the French fry sinks to the bottom, and barely bubbles, it is not hot enough.
- Fry the potatoes in small batches. They are done when they are golden brown, and float to the top of the skillet.
- Drain the potatoes on paper towels, and keep them warm in the oven while the other fries are done.
- When all French fries are done cooking and drained, place them onto a platter.
- Salt the French fries if you like, and sprinkle on cheese and cooked bacon.
- Place back into a warm oven until the cheese begins to melt.
** Alternatively, you can cook the French fries in an air fryer to avoid much of the fat. Here is my recipe for making French Fries in the air fryer.