Pacific Time Tamarind Barbecue Sauce
- 14 ounces pure tamarind concentrate
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 1 cup medium-sweet soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet Hungarian paprika
- 3 tablespoons Indian curry powder
- 3 tablespoons dark-roasted chili powder
- 1/4 cup kimchi sauce *
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle, ground
- 3/4 cup hot Light Brown Caramel
Light Brown Caramel
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 ounces water
- Sauce: In nonreactive bowl, whisk together tamarind, garlic, red pepper, soy sauce,
paprika, curry powder, chili powder, kimchi sauce and chipotle. Transfer to nonreactive
saucepan. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in 3/4 cup hot caramel. Simmer 10 minutes. Skim particles that float
to top. Pass through fine chinois or double-mesh strainer. Cool in water bath. Refrigerate.
- Light Brown Caramel: In heavy 3-quart. pot, combine sugar and water. Cook over
high heat until caramel is light brown. It is important to add caramel to recipe
as soon as it is ready so it doesn't burn or harden.
Yield: about 3 1/2 cups
* A mixture of 1/4 cup ketchup and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce may
be substituted for kimchi sauce.
Source: Chef-owner Jonathan Eismann, Pacific Time, Miami Beach, Florida
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes