Palace Cafe White Chocolate Bread Pudding
Chef Dick Brennan says that this is the most-requested recipe at Palace Cafe
in New Orleans: a rich bread pudding flavored with white chocolate and topped with
a warm white-chocolate sauce.
- 3 cups heavy (whipping) cream
- 10 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 loaf day-old French bread, cut into -inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons chocolate shaving for garnish
White Chocolate Sauce
- 8 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- Bread Pudding: Heat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan heat, but do not boil, the cream. Remove from the heat,
add the white chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. In a double boiler over
barely simmering water beat together the milk, sugar, eggs and egg yolks, and heat
until warm. Blend the egg mixture into the cream and chocolate mixture.
- Place the bread slices in a baking pan. Pour half of the chocolate mixture over
the bread. Let sit for 30 minutes, then pour in the rest of the chocolate mixture.
Make sure all the bread is moistened. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes
or until golden brown.
- White Chocolate Sauce: In a double boiler over barely simmering water
melt the chocolate, stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat and mix in the heavy
cream. Keep warm. To store, let cool slightly and store in an airtight jar in the
refrigerator. Melt over barely simmering water and stir until smooth.
- To serve: Spoon the pudding hot out of the pan, top with warm sauce, and garnish
with chocolate shavings. Or, let cool to room temperature for about 45 minutes,
loosen the sides and invert the pan to unmold. Cut into squares. Top each serving
with warm sauce and sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
Serves 8 to 10
Posted by Recipethyme at Recipe Goldmine 8/19/2001 12:28 am.
Source: Chef Dick Brennan Jr., Palace Cafe - New Orleans, Louisiana - http://dsc.discovery.com
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.