Panda Express Kung Pao Chicken
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 large egg
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine
- 2 1/2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided use
- 12 whole dry chile peppers (smaller than 3 inches; if longer, cut in half)
- 1/4 cup 1/2-inch diced green onion, white part only
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chile pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 ounces dry roasted peanuts
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 large zucchini cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- Combine the chicken, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 egg, 1/4 cup
cornstarch and the 2 tablespoons vegetable oil; refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- In a small bowl add the wine, soy sauce and water and set aside.
- Heat wok/skillet on high heat 10 seconds.
- Add the 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- Remove chicken from marinade and add to wok, cooking on high heat for 60
- Remove the chicken from the pan. Add another 1/2 tablespoon of oil and
the red bell pepper and zucchini.
- Cook over high heat for 1-2 minutes, until just caramelized and slightly
- Remove vegetables and add the chile peppers.
- Stir until they darken a bit, then add the green onions, peanuts,
ginger, garlic, crushed red pepper, and sesame oil.
- Stir for 2-3 seconds and immediately add the wine/soy/water mixture.
- Bring it to a boil, then add the cornstarch and water; mix and stir
until it has thickened.
- Add the chicken and vegetables back in, stirring to combine.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.