Panda Express Kung Pao Chicken
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 large egg
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine
- 2 1/2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided use
- 12 whole dry chile peppers (smaller than 3 inches; if longer, cut in half)
- 1/4 cup 1/2-inch diced green onion, white part only
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chile pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 ounces dry roasted peanuts
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 large zucchini cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- Combine the chicken, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 egg, 1/4 cup
cornstarch and the 2 tablespoons vegetable oil; refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- In a small bowl add the wine, soy sauce and water and set aside.
- Heat wok/skillet on high heat 10 seconds.
- Add the 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- Remove chicken from marinade and add to wok, cooking on high heat for 60
- Remove the chicken from the pan. Add another 1/2 tablespoon of oil and
the red bell pepper and zucchini.
- Cook over high heat for 1-2 minutes, until just caramelized and slightly
- Remove vegetables and add the chile peppers.
- Stir until they darken a bit, then add the green onions, peanuts,
ginger, garlic, crushed red pepper, and sesame oil.
- Stir for 2-3 seconds and immediately add the wine/soy/water mixture.
- Bring it to a boil, then add the cornstarch and water; mix and stir
until it has thickened.
- Add the chicken and vegetables back in, stirring to combine.