Panera Bread Bakery-Cafe Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups chicken stock or bouillon
- 1/2 pound fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Sauté onion in butter. Set aside.
- Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half (this is called making a roux).
Add the chicken stock whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat until the veggies are
tender for 20-25 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now.
- Pour in batches into blender and puree.
- Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended.
- Stir in the nutmeg and serve.
Posted by Mary6311 at Recipe Goldmine Sunday Oct 9th, 2005 01:35 pm.
Review from Mary6311: I made this with broccoli crowns and included the stems,
also chopped. It seemed to work fine. I'd maybe just peel the bigger stems next
time so that the texture of the soup was a little smoother. I also added a little
more cheese and will likely make a thicker roux next time because I would have liked
a slightly thicker consistency in the final soup. But it was REALLY good as it was.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes