Pappadeaux Crawfish Bisque
- 3 pounds crawfish
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 quarts water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 4 tablespoons brandy
- Boil crawfish in a large pot of water. Drain and cool until crawfish can be handled
easily. Remove tail and save shells.
- Refrigerate tail meat.
- Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add crawfish shells, paprika and cayenne.
Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Strain liquid into another pan. Crush shells to remove remaining liquid and add
that liquid. Discard shells.
- Return to heat and add onion, bell pepper, tomato paste, cream and tomato. Simmer
for 1 hour, stirring frequently.
- Add brandy and crawfish tail meat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Source: Houston Chronicle - Pappadeaux Restaurant