Pappasito's Cantina Poblano Soup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup purple onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2/3 cup finely diced carrots
- 3/4 cup finely diced poblano pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 3/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
Prepare all vegetables ahead of time.
- In a 4-quart stock pot, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and simmer,
whisking constantly until thickened to a roux. Whisk in cream, milk and chicken
bouillon and cook, stirring frequently or whisking, over medium-low heat until smooth.
- Heat oil in large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft,
about 3 minutes. Add garlic and carrots. Cook until tender, about 3 minutes, stirring
frequently. Add poblanos and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add vegetable mixture
to milk mixture, stir to combine. Stir in salt and black, white and cayenne peppers.
Simmer over medium-low heat a few minutes. Add red bell pepper. Simmer 15 or 20
minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add cheese and stir until melted. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
Serve hot or refrigerate immediately. Reheat before serving.
Yield: six (8 ounce) servings
Recipe doubles easily.