Pappasito's Mixed Grill
- 6 (12-inch long) wooden or metal skewers
- 12 jumbo shrimp
- 6 slices bacon
- 12 green bell pepper wedges
- 12 red bell pepper wedges
- 12 red onion wedges
- 12 chicken breast slices
- 6 pineapple slices
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 pound butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups Italian dressing
- Rinse shrimp in a strainer. Remove 3/4 of the shell, leaving the last section
and the tail intact.
- With a small sharp paring knife, cut the shrimp along the underneath vein. Be
careful not to cut completely through the top of the shrimp (cutting shrimp from
the bottom and not all the way through helps when stuffing).
- Both veins should now be exposed. Wash them out of the shrimp. Complete procedure
for all shrimp and place on a plate in the refrigerator when finished.
- Cut bacon in half all at once and set aside.
- Cut peppers in half from top to bottom and deseed. Cut twelve 2- x 2-inch pieces
and set aside.
- Cut twelve 2- x 2-inch red onion pieces and set aside.
- Slice twelve pieces uncooked beef for fajitas into 1-inch wide, 4-inch long strips.
- Slice twelve pieces of uncooked chicken breasts for fajitas into 1-inch wide,
4-inch long strips.
- Cut six 1 1/2- x 1 1/2-inch cubes of pineapple and set aside.
- Combine black pepper, paprika, and red pepper. Stir until well-blended and set
- Soften the butter at room temperature and whip with garlic and wine until well-combined.
Set in refrigerator.
- Wrap one half piece of bacon around shrimp body (not tail). Set on plate and
repeat until all shrimp are finished.
- With all prepared vegetables and shrimp in front of you, take one 12-inch skewer
and with the sharp end, stab in the following order: one green bell pepper wedge,
beef, red onion wedge, chicken, red bell pepper wedge, bacon-wrapped shrimp (through
the main part of the body), red bell pepper wedge, chicken, red onion wedge, beef
and green bell pepper wedge. Do not shove vegetables, meat and shrimp too close
together or they will not cook evenly.
- Place the prepared skewers on a plate in the refrigerator while you prepare the
grill to a medium low flame (gas grill low flame, lid open). Have a small cup of
water ready to sprinkle over the fire if this happens).
- Soak the skewers in Italian dressing for 2 to 3 minutes. Place on the grill,
sprinkle with seasonings and baste with butter mixture (about 1/2 cup total).
- Serve remainder of butter slightly melted with mixed grill.
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 3/12/2002 11:39 am.
Source: WXIA 11, Atlanta - Air date: 5/8/00 - From Pappasito's