Patti's 1880s Restaurant Coconut Cake
Plan ahead for this simple-to-make cake; its flavor depends on a three-day rest
in the refrigerator.
- 2 boxes yellow cake mix (using whatever eggs and/or oil are required for the mix)
Filling and Frosting
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 14 ounces coconut (about 4 cups)
- 1 (12 ounce) container Cool Whip
- Cake: Prepare cake mixes according to package directions. Bake in 4 round, 9-inch cake
pans (you may do this in 2 batches if you only have 2 pans); cool thoroughly on
a wire rack.
- Filling and Frosting: Fold together sour cream and sugar. Stir in half the coconut
(7 ounces, or 2 cups) to thicken the mixture for filling. Reserve remaining coconut
to sprinkle over cake.
- Measure out 1 cup of the sour cream mixture and set aside, refrigerated, to make
- Spread remaining filling between layers. Cover cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate
3 days to allow moisture to soak through cake.
- Frosting: Mix reserved filling with Cool Whip. Spread over cake. Sprinkle
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes