Peohe's-Style Salad with Orange-Ginger
Vinaigrette and Candied Walnuts
Peohe's is located on Coronado Island, California.
- Mesclun salad mix, as needed
- Orange-Ginger Vinaigrette, enough to coat lightly
- Candied walnuts, as garnish
- Mandarin orange slices, as garnish
- 1 1/2 cups tarragon vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate
- 2 cups olive oil
- 3 pounds walnuts, halved
- 8 ounces butter
- 4 ounces sugar
- 4 ounces light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup honey
- Orange Ginger Vinaigrette: Whisk all ingredients together in stainless steel
bowl till mixed thoroughly.
- Candied Walnuts: Heat all ingredients except walnuts till completely melted.
Toss walnuts in sugar mixture.
- Place on sheet pan and bake at 350 degrees for 5-8 minutes. Gently toss
several times while cooling. When completely cool, place in an airtight
- To assemble salad: Toss vinaigrette and salad mix in a stainless steel bowl
till mix is evenly coated.
- Plate salads; place walnuts and oranges on top.