Petroleum Club Bread Pudding
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 5 cups stale French bread cubes
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, diced
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl until
sugar is dissolved.
- Add milk and melted butter; mix to combine well; set aside.
- Grease an 8-inch square baking pan, then add bread cubes.
- Sprinkle dried fruit and pecans over top and press in to combine.
- Pour milk mixture over bread and press
down with fingers to completely immerse bread and to distribute liquid evenly.
- Let mixture sit for 20 to 30 minutes, periodically pressing down to allow the bread
to absorb all of the liquid.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until pudding is brown and puffy.
- Serve warm with freshly whipped cream.
Yield: 6 generous servings
Source: San Antonio Express News - Petroleum Club, San Antonio, Texas