Popeye's Cajun Gravy
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 chicken gizzard
- 2 tablespoons minced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup ground beef
- 1/4 cup ground pork
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash dried parsley flakes
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté chicken gizzard
in the oil for 4 to 5 minutes until cooked.
- Remove gizzard from the pan and let
cool. Finely mince the gizzard after it has cooled.
- Combine ground beef and ground pork. Mix with your hands until well mixed.
- Add bell pepper to the saucepan and sauté it for 1 minute.
- Add ground beef and
pork to the pan and cook brown. Mash meat into tiny pieces as it browns.
- Add water and beef broth to the saucepan, then immediately whisk in cornstarch
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gravy until
thick - about 30 to 35 minutes.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.