Popeye's Fried Chicken
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons seasoning salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 packet dry spaghetti sauce mix
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups oil for frying
- 1 (4 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- In a shallow dish or bowl mix together the flour, cornstarch, seasoning salt,
paprika, baking soda, dressing mix, soup mix, spaghetti sauce mix and sugar.
- Place cereal crumbs in another shallow dish or bowl.
- Mix together eggs and water in a third shallow dish or bowl.
- Heat oil (1 inch deep) in a large skillet over medium high heat. Heat oven
to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Dip chicken pieces into dry coating mix, egg/water mixture, cereal crumbs, briefly
into dry mix once more, then drop into hot oil skin side down. Brown for 3 to 4
minutes, then brown other side of each piece.
- Place browned chicken pieces in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, skin side up, and
cover dish with aluminum foil leaving one side open for escaping steam.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 45 minutes, or until chicken
is cooked through and tender and juices run clear.
- Remove cover and bake another 5 minutes to let coating become crisp; serve.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.