Popeye's Red Beans and Rice
- 3 (16 ounce) cans red beans (2 cans with liquid, 1 can drained )
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound smoked ham hock
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon lard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 4 to 5 cups long grain rice, cooked and drained
- Pour 2 cans of beans with their liquid into a 2-quart saucepan. Add smoked ham
hock and water. Simmer over medium heat for 1 hour until the meat starts to loosen
from the bone.
- Remove from heat and cool until the hock is cool enough so the meat may be removed
from the bone. Place the meat, beans and liquid in a food processor. To the mixture
add onion powder, garlic salt, red pepper, salt, and lard. Process for only 4 seconds.
Beans should be chopped and liquid thick.
- Add the third can of beans that have been
drained of their liquid. Process just for a second or two; you want these beans
to remain almost whole.
- Pour bean mixture back into to pan and cook slowly on low
heat stirring often until ready to serve.
- Serve over rice.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.