President Casino Potato Chowder
- 3 potatoes, peeled
- 1 1/4 cups diced onion
- 3 cups plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 teaspoons chicken base (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon bacon bits
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. (You should have about 3 cups.) Add potatoes
and onion to 3 cups water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes
are fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in chicken base, pepper, cream and bacon bits; simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir cornstarch into 2 tablespoons water.
- Gradually stir into chowder; cook until thickened.
- Taste; adjust seasonings.
Yield: 6 (1-cup) servings
Chicken base is a super-concentrated bouillon, formerly available only
to restaurants, but now easily found in grocery stores. Some brands of chicken base
even contain real chicken and need to be refrigerated. Though there is much more
flavor packed into a teaspoonful of base than in an equal amount of bouillon granules
or cubes, it is still very salty. Taste often as you add it in small increments.
Source: President Casino - St. Louis, Missouri
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.