Pusser's Ltd. Haitian Coleslaw
"My husband and I celebrated my fiftieth birthday on the island of St. John,
where we enjoyed many terrific meals," says Eileen Hruby of Tom's River,
NJ. "One day, we had lunch at Pusser's Ltd. in Cruz Bay. The coleslaw they
served was extraordinary: cool and hot at the same time. I have no idea how it was
made." Serrano chiles give this dish a real kick; the lime juice makes it refreshing.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 small serrano chiles, seeded, minced (about 2 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 8 cups (packed) shredded cabbage (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 cups (packed) shredded carrots (about 2 large)
- Whisk mayonnaise, olive oil, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, mustard, chopped
dill, sugar, chiles, garlic and celery seeds in medium bowl to blend.
- Toss cabbage and carrots in large bowl with enough dressing to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Coleslaw can be prepared ahead. Let stand at room temperature
up to 1 hour or cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours.)
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
6 side-dish servings
Posted by jerseyjan at Recipe Goldmine 7/12/01 8:10:16 am.
Source: Bon Appetit - August 1990 - Pusser's Ltd., Cruz Bay, St. John
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.