Rainforest Cafe Safari Soup
A zesty broth, filled with nice chunks of eggplant and other good things. Adapted from the Rainforest Cafe version.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casing removed, lightly sautéed and drained
- 1 cup partly cooked pasta (any shape)
- 4 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/3 cup diced onions
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 cups diced eggplant, skinned (unless skins are very thin and tender)
- 16 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup mixed dried beans (Romano, kidney, fava, pinto, cranberry, etc.)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon salt (to taste)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons granulated sugar (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon dry chile pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Lightly grease stock pot bottom to prevent beans from sticking.
- Sauté sausage and drain.
- Sauté or sweat vegetables (garlic, onions, carrots, celery, eggplant) in olive oil until softened.
- Add water, sausage, tomatoes, salt, sugar, pepper, garlic powder, basil, celery seed, coriander, parsley, chile pepper, balsamic vinegar. Simmer 2 to 3 hours (until beans are soft).
- Adjust seasonings.
- Add pasta a few minutes before serving.
Posted by GayleL at Recipe Goldmine 6/6/01 10:58:22 pm.