Rancho Tejas Chicken Fried Steak
- 1/2 teaspoon Meat Tenderizer
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- Pan drippings (1/2 cup from each steak)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- Select six bone-out round steaks no thicker than 3/4 of an inch.
- Marinade: Dissolve meat tenderizer in water, add buttermilk and whisk with wire whip for 30
- Place steak in mix and refrigerate two hours.
- Drain marinade from steaks and cut each steak into three pieces along fat lines.
- Fill frying pan with 1/4-inch of vegetable oil and heat on medium high.
- Bread steaks in sour dough wash. To make the wash, combine two onion slices with a slurry and
let stand for 24 hours beforehand. After breading steaks in this, bread them in flour breading, then fry until golden brown.
- Let steaks drain on wrapper towel, keeping drippings for cream gravy.
- Cream Gravy: Mix drippings with flour breading and whip into a roux.
- Whisk in the chicken stock, salt and pepper and milk and boil. Simmer five minutes until
- Add gravy to steaks.
Source: Pat and Chris McCarley - Rancho Tejas Restaurant - as published in Southwest
Food Service News
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes