Routh Street Cafe Blue Corn Muffins
These muffins are a specialty at the Routh Street Cafe in Dallas, Texas.
Yield: 2 dozen
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced sweet yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups blue cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Half-and-Half
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- Sauté peppers and onion in oil until tender; set aside.
- Combine butter and shortening in a small saucepan; melt over low heat. Set aside to cool.
- Combine cornmeal and next 4 ingredients; mix well, and set aside.
- Combine eggs, milk half and half and ham. Stir in sautéed vegetables and melted butter mixture. Add to dry ingredients, stirring mixture just until moistened. Spoon into a greased and floured muffin pans, filling three-fourths full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes.