Roxy Eldorado Apple Cake
Making this in the mini loaf pans would be great for gift-giving.
- 2 cups peeled and diced apples such as Gala, Fuji or MacIntosh
- 1/2 teaspoon
freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup butter,
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon
pure vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil or butter then flour baking pans, either 12 small
loaf pans or two 9-inch cake pans.
- Toss diced apples with lemon zest and lemon juice in small bowl; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar, beating
well by hand or using an electric mixer. Add vanilla extract; beat in eggs, one
at a time.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in separate bowl. Fold
flour mixture into butter mixture; batter will be stiff. Fold in apple mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake (small loaves 25 to 30 minutes, cake
pans 45 to 50 minutes), until cake is golden and knife inserted in center comes
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Dust cooled cakes with confectioners'
sugar or serve with freshly whipped cream.
Source: Shelly Southwick, pastry chef of Roxy in the Eldorado Casino, Reno, Nevada