Royal India Restaurant Royal Special Biryani
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 small cinnamon sticks
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 16 pieces boiled chicken
- 16 pieces boiled lamb
- 16 boiled shrimp, shells removed, deveined
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Pinch of red chili powder, or to taste
- Pinch of salt, or to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 to 3 medium onions, chopped
- 4 to 5 pinches cumin seed
- Pinch of cilantro
- 2 medium-size fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 8 to 10 tablespoons whipping cream
- Combine rice, water, cumin seed, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and green cardamom with oil in pot. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until all liquid is absorbed, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Prepare gravy.
- Add gravy to chicken, lamb and shrimp. Combine gravy mixture with rice mixture and cook just until mixture is heated through.
- Add garam masala, chili powder and salt.
- Combine oil, onions, cumin seed and cilantro in skillet or pot and cook until onions are golden brown, about 10 minutes
- Add tomatoes and cook until soft. Add cream, transfer to blender and puree. Add water if needed to thin mixture. Should be the consistency of a thin gravy.