Royal Melbourne Cashew-Crusted
Rack of Lamb with Rosemary Sauce
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 (3 pound) French, eight-bone domestic rack of lamb with cap off
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cashews (whole or pieces)
- 2 cups Japanese bread crumbs (panko)
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1 rib celery diced
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or no-salt canned veal or beef stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Season lamb with salt and pepper. Heat a 10- to 12-inch sauté pan on medium high heat until hot. Add olive oil. Sear lamb on all sides until golden brown. Remove from heat; let rack sit for 5 minutes.
- While lamb rests place the cashews and bread crumbs in food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped and well mixed. Be careful not to over-pulse or the cashews will turn into butter. Smear the rack with the Dijon mustard and lightly press the cashew mixture on the lamb, being sure to evenly coat the entire lamb except the bones.
- Place lamb on a baking sheet and lightly cover the cashews with foil so they do not burn. Roast for 12 minutes covered, then 12 more minutes uncovered.
- While the lamb roasts, prepare the Rosemary Sauce
- In a 2 quart saucepan heat olive oil on medium heat until hot. Add carrot, onion and celery and sauté until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add red wine and reduce by half. Add veal stock, sugar and rosemary and reduce by half. Mix cornstarch with water and add to sauce, stirring constantly. Sauce should coat the back of a spoon. Taste sauce and season with salt and pepper. Strain sauce through a fine sieve and keep warm.
- Pull lamb out of oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice lamb in-between each bone and serve four pieces per person with Rosemary Sauce and your favorite potatoes and vegetables.
Source: Chef Darin Kolbe, Royal Melbourne, Long Grove, Illinois