Royal Resort Mexican Black Bean Soup
- 1 pound black beans
- 4 quarts water
- 1 sprig epazote
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 ounces oil
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
slices of bacon Pinch of salt
- 1 cube chicken bouillon, crushed
- 8 ounces
- Corn tortillas
- Pasilla chiles
- Panela cheese
- Wash black beans. Cook in the water with the epazote and garlic for about 3 hours,
or until soft.
- Remove epazote after cooking and blend beans with bean stock.
- Sauté bacon and onions in oil in heavy, deep pot.
- Add beans and let simmer
until desired consistency is reached, stirring frequently.
- Season with salt and
- Strain to remove bacon and onion.
- Add heavy cream. Stir to blend.
- Serve in bowls with sliced, fried corn tortillas and with sliced pasilla chiles
and panela cheese on the side.
Source: Royal Resort, Cancun, Mexico