Ruby Tuesday's Broccoli-Cheese Soup
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) margarine
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 gallon water
- 4 1/2 ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 pounds pasteurized processed cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 16 ounces whipping cream
- 1/2 lemon peel, finely grated
- 20 ounces broccoli, fine cut
- Cook margarine and flour in a suitable pan over medium high heat, stirring constantly with a wire whip for 2 minutes, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine water, chicken broth, onion, celery and carrot in a suitable pot and bring to a boil.
- While heating, cut the processed cheese into 1 inch chunks.
- Once soup comes to a boil, stir in the cooked flour, dry mustard and white pepper and continue cooking for 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Reduce heat and stir in cheese until completely melted. (Do not allow it to scorch.) Stir in the Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, whipping cream, lemon peel and broccoli. Return to a simmer then remove from heat.
Posted by GayleL at Recipe Goldmine 5:10:18pm 2/1/03.
Source: The Birmingham News