Ruby's Diner Garden Patch Sandwich
Yield: 1 serving
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 1 slice tomato
- 1/4 ounce alfalfa sprouts
- 6 slices cucumber (1/4 inch thick), skinned
- 4 large spinach leaves Parmesan sourdough bread
- 2 1/2 inch thick slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 ounce shredded Parmesan cheese
- To make bread: Coat one side of each bread slice with margarine, all the way to the edges. Spread cheese evenly on a sheet pan. Place the coated side of each slice into the cheese, pressing lightly so the cheese sticks evenly to the bread. Stack slices with coated sides together on a plate.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- To assemble sandwich: Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat (add a little butter or margarine if desired). Place bread slices in skillet, coated side down, and grill until golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Spread ungrilled sides of bread with mayonnaise. Layer one slice with the remaining ingredients in the order listed. Top with second slice (grilled sides of bread go on the outside of the sandwich).
Per serving, without adding butter to the skillet: 830 calories, 72g fat, 17g saturated fat, 250mg cholesterol, 1,500mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate, 23 g protein*
Source: Ruby's Diner, Maui, Hawaii and Las Vegas Airport