Ruegger's Bagels Chicken Bagel Azteca
Yield: 6 servings
- 4 chicken breasts
- Dash of Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 onion bagels, cut in half
- 3/4 cup commercially prepared jalapeno cream cheese
- 1 cup mild or medium strength salsa
- 1 (14 ounce) can green chiles, chopped or 1 whole fresh mild chili, ribbed, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 pound queso blanco cheese (in Mexican grocery stores or at supermarkets in the West) or mozzarella, grated
- Squirt and rub each chicken breast with a dash of Tabasco (to sharpen flavor).
- Mix the onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, pepper, salt and paprika together and rub on the chicken breasts.
- Spray a nonstick sauté pan with cooking oil and sauté chicken until done (10 to 13 minutes) over medium high heat.
- While the chicken is cooking, spread each bagel half with about one tablespoon of the cream cheese and top with salsa and green chiles.
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and chop into half-inch cubes; divide equally atop the bagels. Top the chicken with the grated cheese.
- Broil for about five minutes, until the cheese is melted.
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine May 9, 2001.
Source: The Beacon Journal, Akron, Ohio