Rula Bula Braised Beef with Guinness
- 2 1/2 pounds lean chuck, cut into 1 1/2 -inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup Guinness
- Salt and
pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
- Melt butter with oil
in heavy skillet over high heat. Add beef and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add onions, garlic, tomato paste. Sauté
for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the contents of the pan to a casserole.
- Deglaze the pan with Guinness.
- Pour in the remaining beef broth, add the carrots and the thyme. Stir; taste and
add a little salt and pepper if necessary.
- Cover the casserole and cook in a low oven at 300 degrees F for 2 to 3 hours.
- Skim off excess fat with a large spoon and correct the seasoning.
- Serve with colcannon (Irish dish consisting of mashed potatoes and chopped cabbage).
Yields 6 servings.
Source: Megan Bates - Rula Bula, Tempe, Arizona