72 Market St. Meatloaf
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup minced green onion
- 3/4 cup minced white onion
- 1/2 cup minced carrot
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork sausage, with no herbs or seasonings added
- 3/4 cup prepared bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 shallots, mixed
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash of crushed peppercorns
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup veal or beef stock
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Meatloaf: Heat the butter in a heavy skillet and add green onion, white onion, carrots,
celery, red bell pepper, green bell pepper and garlic.
- Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until moisture has evaporated. Cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, cumin and
eggs and mix well. Add ketchup and half-and-half.
- Blend thoroughly.
- Add ground beef, ground pork, bread crumbs and vegetable mixture. It might be
easier to mix this with your hands.
- Grease a loaf pan and add meat mixture, pressing
it into corners. Put loaf pan in a larger pan filled 1 inch high with boiling water.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with meatloaf gravy.
- Meatloaf Gravy: In a heavy pan, melt 1 tablespoon butter and saute shallots, thyme, bay
leaf, peppercorns and red and yellow bell peppers over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add wine and simmer over high heat until reduced by three-fourths, to make a
glaze. Add veal stock and chicken stock and simmer, uncovered, over high heat until
reduced by one-fourth. Add tomatoes and bring to slow simmer. Cook, covered, for
- Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Strain, discarding bay leaf and thyme before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Source: 72 Market St. - Los Angeles, California
>> RESTAURANT RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.