Salem Tavern Maryland Corn Chowder
- 1 1/2 pounds bacon, diced
- 1/2 pound onion, diced
- 3/4 cup flour
3/4 cups chicken stock (or bouillon)
- 4 cups creamed corn
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- Pinch oregano
- 1 pound corn kernels, fresh
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled, finely diced
- 2 3/4 cups heavy cream
- Hot-pepper sauce, to taste
- In large soup pot, sauté bacon and onion until onion is tender. Add flour and
reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring, about 7 minutes. Do not allow flour to brown.
- Blend in stock, stirring well. Add creamed corn, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Bring soup to a boil. Add potatoes, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, until
potatoes are tender.
- Add corn and hot sauce. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Stir in cream, heat through and serve.
Makes about 1 gallon.
Source: Chef John Deschler, Salem Tavern