Sampan Seafood Restaurant Seafood Treasure Basket
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 ounces shrimp
- 2 ounces squid
- 2 ounces scallops
- 2 ounces sliced fish fillets
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1 teaspoon chicken-broth granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cups vegetable oil (or enough to deep-fry noodle blocks)
- 4 (3 ounce) packages Asian or ramen noodles
- 2 large lettuce leaves for garnish
- Filling: In a stockpot, combine chicken broth, shrimp, squid, scallops and fish fillet
pieces. Bring to boil over medium-high heat and cook 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomato,
chicken-broth granules, salt, carrots, peas, sugar and ginger and cook for 6 to
8 minutes longer.
- Keeping the broth in the stockpot, strain the seafood mixture into a medium frying
pan and set aside. Return the broth to medium-high heat. Cook until broth is reduced,
then keep warm.
- Fry the seafood mixture over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, then keep warm.
- Noodle Basket: In a medium saucepan or deep fryer, heat oil over medium heat.
Open 4 packages of Asian or ramen noodles, removing any flavor packets. Working
carefully to keep the noodles in the block shape, immerse blocks one at a time in
oil and fry until lightly browned and firm. Remove noodle blocks from oil and drain
on paper towels. Create a noodle bowl by placing noodle blocks in a circle along
the sides of a medium bowl.
- Add the seafood mixture to the warm, reduced stock and stir to combine. Pour
the mixture into the noodle bowl.
- To serve, place lettuce leaves on a plate and place noodle bowl on top of lettuce.
Yield: 4 servings
Approximate values per serving: 784 calories, 34 g fat, 180 mg cholesterol,
29 g protein, 91 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 1,106 mg sodium, 38 percent calories
Source: Jeff Wang, Sampan Seafood Restaurant - The Arizona Republic Jan. 24,