Sam's Cafe Poblano Chicken Chowder
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 to 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut to 1/2-inch dice
- 3 to 4 medium onions, peeled and cut to 1/2-inch dice
- 1 bunch celery, trimmed and cut to 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound poblano peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut to 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 7 ounces chicken base
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 1/8 cup red hot sauce
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken breasts, cubed and grilled
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced, for garnish
- Make a roux by combining flour and butter in a heavy pan over medium heat. Cook,
stirring often, for 4 to 5 minutes. Do not let brown.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add carrots, onions, celery, garlic, poblano peppers,
cumin and thyme. Sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, until vegetables are slightly softened.
- Add chicken base, water and white pepper. Cook until carrots are crisp-tender, about
10 to 12 minutes.
- Whisk in roux and cook 5 minutes longer, stirring often.
- Remove from heat. Add hot sauce. Mix well and allow to cool.
- Before serving, add cream and chicken and heat through.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Yield: 16 servings
Approximate values per serving: 507 calories; 46 g fat; 137 mg cholesterol;
7 g protein, 18 g carbohydrates; 1 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 81 percent calories from
Source: Sam's Cafe, Arizona Center, Phoenix, Arizona