San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk Tortilla Soup
- 4 to 6 slices uncooked bacon, diced to make 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups beef stock
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 or 3 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips and fried until crisp
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup guacamole
- Sauté bacon until lightly browned. Drain off excess grease. Add tomatoes and
onions; cook until onions are tender. Add cilantro, white pepper and cumin; mix
- Meanwhile, combine beef and chicken stocks and bring to a boil. Add bacon mixture
to stock; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Line bottoms of serving bowls with tortilla strips. Add soup, then top each serving
with a sprinkling of cheese (about 2 tablespoons) and some guacamole (about 1 tablespoon).
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Source: Chef Mark Copabianco, executive chef, San Antonio Marriott Riverwalk,
San Antonio, Texas