Sanders Chocolate Bumpy Cake
- 1/2 cup hot black coffee or hot water
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Pourable Fudge Frosting
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 pound butter, divided
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cake: In a large bowl, combine coffee and cocoa; beat on medium speed for 30
seconds. Add oil; beat for 30 seconds; add buttermilk; beat for 30 seconds; add
baking soda; beat for 30 seconds; add salt; beat for 30 seconds; add vanilla extract;
beat for 30 seconds; add eggs; beat for 30 seconds; add sugar; beat for 30 seconds.
Add flour; beat for 5 minutes.
- Batter will be very bubbly. Pour batter into greased 9 x 13-inch pan and bake
at 375 degrees F for 35-40 minutes.
- To assemble the cake: Prepare cake as directed. When cake has cooled, place the
cake in freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare buttercream icing (recipes follows), then shape into 1-inch rolls, placing
on frozen cake, 1 inch apart across the top of the cake.
- Return to the freezer for at least an additional 15 minutes. Apply cooled fudge
frosting (recipe follows) to the top of cake, covering buttercream rolls completely.
- Return to freezer for several minutes or more to set frosting.
- Buttercream Icing: Place butter in mixing bowl, add 2 cups powdered sugar; mix
at low speed to obtain smooth paste. Whip at medium speed, adding the milk slowly
and gradually until light and fluffy.
- Using a clean bowl and beater, whip the egg whites until stiff while adding the
1/2 cup powdered sugar slowly. Mix this meringue slowly into the above buttered
mixture. Add vanilla extract, salt and remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar. This last
amount of sugar can be doubled if stiffer icing is desired.
- Pourable Fudge Frosting: Over medium-high heat, combine buttermilk, sugar, corn
syrup, cocoa, salt and half of the butter. Bring mixture to a boil.
- When mixture reaches the soft-ball stage, remove from heat. Add remaining butter,
powdered sugar and vanilla extract. This will have a "pouring consistency."
Posted by Jaci at Recipe Goldmine 10/2/2001 5:20 pm.
Source: Posted on TSR by Liz L 5/3/00