This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
St. Louis Bread Company Brown Betty
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 apples (mix Gala, Jonathan or Jonagold, Granny Smith) can use pears or peaches all peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Generously butter a baking dish. Mix spices with fruit and brown sugar. Place
in the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whip the eggs with the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl using a fork, mix the breadcrumbs with the white sugar. Top
fruit with a crumb mixture and pour melted butter over breadcrumbs, covering thoroughly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Whipped cream topping: Whip 1 cup heavy cream. Add 2 tablespoons light brown
sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Or whip 1 cup heavy cream; add 2 tablespoons
sugar and 2 tablespoons dark rum.
Source: Sue Stees, St. Louis Bread Company