St. Louis Bread Company
Cauliflower Soup with Cheddar Toasts
- 2 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, small, cored, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock, low sodium
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 8 slices crusty bread, about 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon basil, minced
- For The Soup - Adjust oven rack to highest setting and preheat broiler on low.
- Heat a soup pot over medium and add the chopped bacon. Sauté, stirring occasionally,
until the fat is rendered and the bacon pieces are crisp - about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute, stirring frequently, until the onions are a
light golden brown- about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, cover the pot and cook until tender - about 5 minutes.
the flour and stir well to evenly coat the cauliflower, onions and bacon.
- Add the
broth, tomatoes, tomato puree, and vinegar and bring soup to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until all the vegetables
are very tender and the soup has developed a rich flavor.
- Add basil to the soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- For The Cheddar Toasts - While the soup is simmering, toast the bread slices
on a baking sheet under the broiler, turning once. Remove when bread is golden brown
on both sides.
- Scatter cheese evenly over the top side of the toasted bread and
return to broiler until the cheese bubbles and begins to brown.
- Serve soup in warm
bowls and top each portion with a Cheddar toast.
Source: Sue Stees, St. Louis Bread Company