St. Louis Bread Company Denver French Toast
- 6 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 thick slices sourdough Saint Louis Bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups ham, sliced into 1/2 x 4-inch slices
- 8 thin slices provolone cheese
- 1 fresh tomato, seeded, peeled and diced
- Whisk eggs, water, salt and pepper together in 9 x 13-inch dish. Add bread slices
and let stand 1 minute. Turn bread over, let stand until egg mixture is absorbed,
about 6-9 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add peppers, onion and
sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add ham slices and mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes
more until vegetables are browned.
- Season to taste.
- Remove pan from heat, but cover
to keep warm while you prepare French toast.
- Melt the other 2 tablespoons butter on heavy griddle. Add bread and
sauté until browned and crusty about 5 minutes.
- Turn bread, top each bread slice with a slice
of cheese. Cook until cheese melts and bottoms are browned. It may be necessary
to cover skillet for a brief time to melt cheese.
- To serve, place French toast on plate and top with vegetables.
- Garnish with diced tomatoes.
Source: Sue Stees, St. Louis Bread Company
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes