St. Louis Bread Company Grilled Steak Salad
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds 1-inch thick beef tenderloin (about 6 steaks)
- 1 sourdough baguette
- Olive oil
- Blue cheese sprinkles (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) bag baby spinach leaves
- 1 head red leaf lettuce
- 1 (16 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 4 ounce)
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds (about 3 ounce)
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Saint Louis Bread Poppyseed dressing
- Grilled steak - Rub both sides of steak lightly with vegetable oil, and season
with salt and pepper.
- Grill steaks on one side, turn and finish grilling to desired
doneness. (About 5 minutes per side for medium rare).
- Transfer steaks to platter and let stand until cool, about 15 minutes. Cover
and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Just before serving slice diagonally into thin strips.
- If you prefer, coat the
bottom of a large, heavy skillet with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and place over
medium high heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add steaks and cook on both
sides to desired doneness. Prepare the steaks for serving as directed above.
- Giant Crouton - Cut bread into 3/4 to 1 inch thick slices. Place slices in a
single layer on a baking sheet and bake slowly in a 300 degree F oven until they
are browned and crisp( approximately 25-30 minutes).
- For extra flavor, lightly brush
each slice with olive oil after they have baked for 15 minutes. If you wish, sprinkle
blue cheese crumbles over the slices for the last minute or so of baking, just until
the cheese softens.
- Mix together salad ingredients, top with steak and giant croutons
and serve with poppyseed dressing.
Source: Sue Stees, St. Louis Bread Company