St. Louis Bread Company Hearty Cheese
Soup in Sourdough Bread Bowls
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked ham or bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 6 sourdough bread bowls
- In a large, heavy stockpot, melt butter or margarine. Add chopped vegetables
and ham or bacon and cook over medium heat until vegetables are slightly tender...
about 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cornstarch. Cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth and continue stirring until slightly thickened.
- Add milk and spices.
- Add cheese gradually, stirring until cheese is melted. To avoid curdling, do not allow soup
to boil after cheese is added.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve piping
hot in hollowed sourdough bread bowls.
Source: St. Louis Bread Company
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes