St. Louis Bread Company Leek and Pear Soup
- 3 cups leeks, cleaned and sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 or 4 Bartlett pears, peeled cored, and chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon summer savory
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups cubed St. Louis Bread French bread, crusts removed
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Soup: In large saucepan, sauté leeks in butter or margarine for about
10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add pears and cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and summer savory and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer,
uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Puree soup in batches in blender or food processor.
- Put soup into a clean saucepan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat if necessary.
- Garnish each serving with seasoned croutons.
- Serve in small Lotus bowls.
- Croutons: Coat bread cubes with vegetable cooking spray. Place in plastic
bag. Add spice and shake to coat. Arrange bread cubes on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees F or until browned.
Source: Sue Stees, St. Louis Bread Company
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes