St. Louis Bread Company Leek and Pear Soup
For the Soup
- 3 cups leeks, cleaned and sliced (white and
light green parts only)
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 or 4 Bartlett
pears, peeled cored, and chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon summer
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Croutons
- 3 cups cubed St. Louis Bread French bread,
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- For the Soup - In large saucepan, sauté leeks in butter or margarine for about
10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add pears and cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and summer savory and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer,
uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Puree soup in batches in blender or food processor.
soup into a clean saucepan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat if necessary.
- Garnish each serving with seasoned croutons.
- Serve in small Lotus bowls.
- For the Croutons - Coat bread cubes with vegetable cooking spray. Place in plastic
bag. Add spice and shake to coat. Arrange bread cubes on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12
minutes at 375 degrees F or until browned.
Source: Sue Stees, St. Louis Bread Company